Burghead Visitor Centre
The site of the former coastguard lookout has now been adapted for use as a visitor centre. It will take visitors through the history of the area from about 400AD to the present time. To adapt the lookout building which was built on the inner rampart of the fort, over 300 tons of rubble put there by the Picts some 1500 years ago was removed by hand.
Our extension is now complete and we are delighted with the wonderful views which can be enjoyed in comfort. Interpretation work is ongoing and we hope to have it completed before we open for the new season. Interpretation will now cover the 'herring lassies' and the natural heritage of the Moray Firth,in addition to the history of the Pictish Fort.
We will open for the new season on Saturday 30 March from 12-4.During April we will be open 12-4 at weekends and 2-4 weekdays.
Burghead visitor centre has now been awarded three star grading and mobility access certificate from Visit Scotland.
Visitor Centre Tel: 01343 835518